Saturday 14 March 2009

Spring-time Fun & A Competition....



The Spring Book Basket post had me thinking..it would be fun to have a little 'spring is in the air' competition!

Have a little look at the above post & leave a comment for me in the comments section of The Spring Book Basket post about your own favourite spring-time read. Even if you dont have a book to recommend, just leave me a brief 'hello' in the comments section & on Wednesday I will have a random drawing & the winner will win a copy of Pelle's New Suit

Pelle's New Suit is one of my favourite spring time reads.
It is about a little boy called Pelle. Pelle has a lamb whose coat grows longer and longer, while Pelle's Sunday suit grows shorter and shorter! Pelle shears the lamb, the wool is carded, spun, dyed and woven. Finally the tailor makes a new suit for Pelle.
This is a really charming story by the classic childrens author Elsa Beskow.

5 comments:

Ceri said...

Oh, I love books too. I'm always hoping to find wonderful new books for our family to share!

We have a book we really like called "Jody's Beans" by Malachy Doyle. Jody's Grandad brings her some beans to plant and helps her prepare the plot and get them going, and gives advice all along the way as you watch their growth and watch Jody enjoy and be amazed at each step in growing her own runner beans. In the background you also see her Mum's tummy steadily growing until there is also a new baby to enjoy, about when the beans are ready. Lovely pictures and text. My older and younger children are all interested in it.

I have another one in the back of my mind that was a lovely springtime book, maybe that we borrowed from the library in the last couple of years. I can't remember what it was but it stands out as being a great children's book. So I may be back here if I remember what it was!

I love reading your blog. It's nice to see what other Christian homeschooling families get up to, and to hear your thoughts and ideas. Thanks very much! Ceri (Brighton, Sussex) :o)

Jeanne said...

Howdy!

I'm struggling to think of any Spring books that are not on your list (we love Brambly Hedge too..) - especially since we're just heading into Autumn!

Given that, I thought I'd name may favourite Easter book: The Country Bunny and the little gold shoes by Du Bose Heyward. This is our must read Easter book!

What a fun idea!

I'll email you soon!

Jeanne

Marci said...

Hi,

I just found your wonderful blog doing a search for spring book baskets. I would LOVE a copy of Pelle's new suit. My favorite spring reads are The Sun Egg by Elsa Beskow, When Spring Comes by Natalie Kinsey-Warnock, Spring Is Here by Lois Lenski and Sugarbush Spring by Marsha Wilson Chall.

Helen said...

This isn't a book, but just today I bought a DVD called Tractor Ted in Springtime which we are all enjoying very much.
I like your new green blog by the way!
Helen (Devon, UK)

Alice said...

Hi.

I love "The Year at Maple Hill Farm" by Alice and Martin Provensen. It follows the farm through the whole year with lovely illustrations. The section on spring is lovely with pictures of all the animals with their young. It's been great preparation for our boys going to see lambing next week!

Alice (Bedfordshire)
http://ifnotschool.blogspot.com/