Sunday 20 September 2009

Young Children and Worship


I recently shared with you our new 'Quiet place'.

Today I would like to share with you how I plan to use it more fully.
I have been reading an inspiring book: Young Children and Worship
A key point of my family's journey into Waldorf home education has been the idea that children are very much children & not 'miniature adults' - This book, for me, resonates with that thought & develops the idea that children are very spiritual beings. The stories are not presented in a fashion of the parent (or teacher) teaching the key points of the Bible stories - "how many loaves & fish did the little boy give to Jesus?" etc etc but in a way that develops wonder & reflection & encourages a true relationship with our heavenly Father.
The first three 'lessons' are showing the children how to enter the 'worship place' in a respectful, calm & appropriate way, how to listen & talk with God. Then the lessons present different Bible stories & encourage reflection & worship.
The book has pages to photocopy in the back, to make figures & scenes for the storytelling. I am going to keep it much simpler than that & use odd Ostheimer animals that we already have (sheep & a wolf) & very simple, faceless wood conical figures for the people. This will keep preparation to a minimum & encourage the girls imaginations to really connect with each story.
We will begin this week with the first lesson - & our quiet place will be our place of worship. I hope that, by the time we have finished working through this book together, our quiet place will be a place were my girls feel drawn to - when they need to pull away from busyness, when they need to go & be peaceful. God is inside us - He is with us always. But often we need to follow the example of Jesus, get alone with God to hear that Still Small Voice.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Lynn, I just found your blog through MJ's site and read your lattest entry - just beautiful! I am going to have to check out this book - your place of worship is incredibly beautiful. I am excited to read the rest of your blog! Thanks for sharing it :)
Blessings to you!

Jeanne said...

I can see why this book appeals to you, Lynn. Its peacefulness seems to be what you aspire to in your own family. I'm keen to hear more about it as time goes by.