Saturday 26 September 2009

Songs for the Day



The Singing Day is a super book for inspiring a person to want to sing their way through the day with their children : )
We have already made verses an important part of our day - now it is the turn of songs!

Say's Candy Verney in a Singing Day:

Rhythm is important in young children's lives. Not so much the mechanical beat of the metronome, but the movement of the breath, contraction & expansion like the sea's tide flowing in & out. Children have no use for , & no conception of linear time, but they thrive when their day has a breathing rhythm, a flow between the IN of peace, rest, reflection; & the OUT of activity, action & interest in the world.

When such rhythm becomes a part of the child's everyday experience, it promotes health & contentment & strengthens growing life forces. The world is chaotic without rhythm. Singing can be used as signposts & cornerstones to mark these flowing rhythms: not only of the day, but also the longer rhythms of the week, & to celebrate the annual rhythms of the seasons & the cycle of the year.


Here are the songs I have chosen to make a part of our day. 'You are my Sunshine' is a song I have always sung to my girls when they get up - I started when Elianna was a tiny baby. Moon River, well, just because it's Moon River ; ) & the others come from the book. The book comes with it's own CD to help you learn the tunes, but you could always make your own.

Upon waking:

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

Tidying Up

Now’s the time to tidy up.
Let’s be busy pixies,
Busy Pixies hard at work
Tidying everything away.

To calm down!

I wiggle my fingers
I wiggle my toes
I wiggle my shoulders
I wiggle my nose
Now all the wiggles are gone from me
And Im as still as I can be.

Bathtime

Rub a dub dub
Two babes in the tub
Who do you think got wet?
The daddy the mummy
The teddy bear’s tummy
Hoppity out you get!

Bedtime

I’ll sing you a little song
And it wont take very long
Goodnight, my darling, goodnight

The stars in the sky
Look down where you lie
They shine so bright for you.

Chorus
Snuggle up, little darling, snuggle up
The angels will ghuard you
Will guard you, will guard you.
All through the night

In the field, in the town
The silver moon is looking down
At you safe fast asleep tonight

Any time : )
Moon River
Moon river, wider than a mile
Im crossing you in style some day
Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker
Wherever youre goin, Im goin your way

Two drifters, off to see the world
Theres such a lot of world to see
Were after the same rainbows end, waitin round the bend
My huckleberry friend, moon river, and me

We sing a hymn each morning as part of our circle time & have a seasonal song, fingerplay & verse. My voice is not the best by any stretch of the imagination, but my girls are so very forgiving.

Have fun singing!

No comments: